Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My First Half Marathon - Les 5 Lieus Foreziennes (Part 2)

So, I woke up the next day after having had a series of turbulent dreams.  That night, I think I ran everywhere in the Sahara desert before waking up.  I truly was anxious for the race.   Anxious, but ready.

We made it to the start line, which was located not too far from our hotel.  

It really is true.  French people try to look their best, even while working out. 

This was one of the moments where I came to realize how much France had actually become home for me.  This type of environment was something that I had experienced many times in the United States, and it was very much the same here.  I waited at the starting line with anticipation, and when the gun went off, I was ready to go.

The First 5 Kilometers

The first five kilometers of the race went by very quickly, and I felt that I had eased into a relatively quick pace from the start.  I wasn't breathing heavily, but I wasn't exactly crawling either.  After having finished the first 5K, I looked at my watch and saw 26:30.  I was definitely ahead of schedule for breaking 2 hours.  The crowd began to spread out a little, and I began to....I can't believe I'm actually going to admit this....... I took pictures!  Here is one of the first ones I took:



Yes, this picture is blurry, but I think it gets the point across.  I was indeed running through the country side.
 12 Kilometers 

So this is where I started to worry.  I remembered starting to feel some pain in my legs, and my knees were starting to ache.  I looked at my watch again, to see that I was still ahead of schedule.  And so, I took another picture.  See those cows?  Well let's just say that for whatever reason, they weren't happy with me when I passed by themI could hear them mooing for the next kilometer or so.


 16 Kilometers

I looked at my watch and was astonished when it said that I had been running for only 1:26:30.  This meant that I needed to run a 5K in less than 34:30 to reach my goal of breaking two hoursThis was a surprisingly easy thing for me to do, seeing as I had been running at roughly an 8:45 minute/mile pace for the past 16 kilometers.

And finally, after 21 kilometers

And finally, the end was in sight.  I saw where we had started the race, and I knew that I would break my goal.  But by how much?  I saw the finish line and pushed it as much as I could, passing four people on my way.  There was, however, one problem.  they were holding out a rope to guide us into the chute as we finished.  To pass the people, I veered to the side, and, well, let's just say that I came very close to flipping over that rope and falling face first onto the ground.  Luckily, it didn't happen.

In the end, I crossed the line with a time of 1:54:29.  I had not only achieved my goal; I shattered it!

 

 Yup, this is me afterwards.  And yes, this is my Y Life Team Challenge shirt, for all of my fellow coworkers and friends at home.  I was thinking of you!



And then, I had to endure the train ride home, with my knees unable to bend.  I was happy to leave Bonson and get back to the city life, but it was an amazing experience.  Did I run a half marathon through a historic city with hundreds of spectators?  No.  Did I get to keep the bib at the end of the race?  No.  I did, however find out that my friend Emily received 1st place in her age/gender group,  and that I received 4th place in mine!

This was something on my to-do list for France.  I can only think of one word to describe the experience though.  

Le bonheur.    













No comments:

Post a Comment