Wednesday, November 21, 2012

I Guess It's Time For That Thanksgiving Post

Bonjour tout le monde!

      So today has been one of those days.  You know, one of those days.  One of those days where you can't quite figure out exactly why, but you're not in the right mood.  One of those days where nothing seems right.  But I guess that's normal, no matter what country you're in.  I could very well have the same type of blah day as I call them, in the United States. 

      I started off my day by going to class as usual, but then decided to go and vent out some frustration regarding my translation class to my resident directors.  Keep in mind, 95% of the time I speak to them, it's done entirely in French so today was a different story for me.  Voicing my opinion in a constructive manner, while frustrated, in another language, proved to be a little bit more difficult than I thought.  But i managed.

      My main problem with my translation course is that I feel as if it passes by so slowly for me.  I understand everything we work on in class, but when it comes to the exam, I always find myself completely and entirely lost.  It seems that no matter what I do right in my language classes, I can't quite get this whole translation thing down.  In fact, it's probably the most frustrating French class I've ever taken.

     And then, my program director pointed something out to me very simply.  And I translate, from French: "You are a bit of a perfectionist."

      And then it hit me.  She's absolutely right.

      Due to the different grading system here in France, I have become very accustomed to being pleased every time I see a grade of 14/20 or higher, and it does happen much more often than I feel it should.  It is practically impossible to get an 18/20 on anything in the normal schooling system, and I was shocked to have received an 18,5/20 on an assignment which I got back today.  But that translation exam... well that train-wreck was a 9,5/20.  And 10/20 is passable.

      My resident director said that perhaps because I spoke so well the teacher was more critical of me.  I would have believed her if it weren't for the fact that she does it to the other 7 people in my class as well.  So I guess next Tuesday I will talk to my professor; it's worth a shot, right?

      On another note, I just finished dinner with my host family, and I guess I can say, finally, that I have made progress here.  I don't have to think when I talk, I don't get corrected nearly as often, and conversations have slowly progressed into something much deeper... More intense conversation, even debates, and I can express my thoughts in ways that I never would have been able to before coming here.  I can make jokes, I can tell stores, and I can even call someone out when they're lying. 

      After laughing through dinner, I truly realized that this is an experience that I am thankful for.  At first, I was a little bit upset about not getting to spend Thanksgiving with my family at home, but I've realized that I've joined another family over here.  I have a family to eat dinner with, a roof to live under, and friends of all nationalities to back me up when I'm not doing so well (A particular mention here goes out to my German friend Jascha, who just gave me something along the lines of Tiger Balm for my forsaken knee).

      I'm thankful for my friends and family at home, but I will see all of you at Christmas and life will go back to normal.  For now, I'm thankful that I'm here in this not-so-new-anymore country and this enlightening experience.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment