Monday, October 1, 2012

In Memoriam



Bonjour tout le monde,

                Normally, I would be writing to you today in order to recount my many funny adventures in France, posting pictures of myself in the mountains, or even complaining about the random little things that drive me crazy in this country.  But today I will speak about something entirely unrelatedThis blog post is dedicated to a past professor of mine, Dr. Lewis Pakula, who just recently passed away in the early hours this morning.  Rather than express my sorrow here, I am going to demonstrate to all of you briefly what made this man amazing.

Proof 

                I remember that day very clearly nearly one year ago, where I stepped into Mathematical Analysis and Topology I, which is a math class known to be notoriously difficult at my university.  I had no idea what to expect, and only knew that I was in for a rough year, knowing that I had to take Mathematical Analysis and Topology II the following semester.  I knew that the class was going to be based off of rigorous proofs, which is something at the time which I was not entirely comfortable with.  The first day of class, I remember Dr. Pakula’s enticing introduction, which sounded something like this.

                “You are going to learn things this year that Newton wouldn’t even understand.  I understand that this work is difficult, but remember that  it took thousands of years for many mathematicians to figure it out.  We only have one short year to learn all of it.”

                This remark was restated several times throughout that first semester, and was often followed with reassurance, which was constantly needed.  I remember sitting at my desk, scratching my head over one proof for many hours at a time.  Just when I was about ready to give up on the class entirely, with something I would barely call completed homework in my hands the next day, Dr. Pakula would give us that much-needed reassurance. 

                “I understand that this is difficult.  I was a student one day myself, although that may have been a little while ago.”

                As I write these butchered quotes, I can almost hear Dr. Pakula saying them to us, in a very distinctive, sarcastic tone.  Sarcastic, yet with truth.  Never before had I met a professor that admits that they were at one point in time a student.  Over the course of the year, as the class became much more difficult, his sarcastic tone and constant reassurance always made us feel better.  What better way to joke about our shortcomings than with sarcasm?  I remember one day very clearly, he asked the entire class what a derivative was, and we all remained silent.  He simply laughed and said,
             
   “You know, Math 141 [Calculus 1]?  It’s still the same.”

                Moments like these surely raised the morale of our class, even after taking the most difficult of exams.  Towards the end of our year, I remember when he was trying to draw abstract topological structures on the board, and how we would all laugh when he actually opened a marker that wasn’t black.  Then, he proceeded to tell us about how there used to is a specific type of chalk which he had preferred when chalk was still in use (This made me smile, because I hoard Ticonderoga pencils as if they’re going out of style).  At the end of the year, just before our final exam, he gave us one final pep-talk.

                “I’ve seen all of you come very far from the beginning of this school year.  But know that this is only the beginning.  We’ve only scraped the tip of the iceberg here.”

                And those were his last words of wisdom to us.   

 
       Although I only had Dr. Pakula for one academic year, I will always remember the impact he has had on my life.  I was more than struggling in his class, and I don't know how I would have succeeded having had any other professor.  I have only mentioned a few of the things that made this man exemplary.  Even if I had the time to sit here and write, I don't think any amount of words could express my gratitude to Dr. Pakula, nor would I be able to give you an accurate picture of all of the small things that made this man an amazing educator.  

Q. E. D. (Sketch) 
                To all of my fellow students out there, I cannot stress this to you enough; make sure that you let your instructors know that you appreciate them, because you never know when you won’t be able to tell them anymore.  And to all of the teachers in the world, thank you.  Merci.  Gracias.  Without your knowledge, none of us would have been able to achieve the goals we have reached today.


Rest In Peace Dr. Lewis Pakula.  You were a phenomenal professor, a phenomenal role model, and an all-around good man.  You will be missed.  

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful and loving tribute to a man who can only be described as legendary. He will be missed indeed.

    ReplyDelete